Re: A pothole ate my tailpipe

To: P86turismo@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A pothole ate my tailpipe
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:27:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/99 1:43:07 PM SA Eastern Standard Time,
P86turismo@aol.com writes:

> So, now I need a new exhaust system, probably from the downpipe back.
>   If I can get the city to pay for this, that'd be great, but if not I
won't
>  skimp.  Any suggestions on a system with sporting pretentions that will
ride
>  high enough for city driving?

Well, you could retro fit your MG like the class 6 SAAB 96 that used to run
Baja.  Baja is one of the few places that sounds like worse driving
conditions than Penn.  Class 6 in off road racing is stock body, with
mechanical modifications allowed.  One team used to run an old 96 which would
rip off the exhaust with great regularity.  So after the umpteenth time the
car owner got pissed and converted the exhaust to the Mexi-burner style.
What he did was do some measuring and placed a hole in the hood at the
correct location and routed the headpipe UP through the hood.  The pipe made
a 90 and the muffler was above the roof of the car with the exhaust tip above
and just west of the rear window.
When in the pits in the middle of a race locals would rush up to gaze in the
race car and grab what ever was handy so they could lean in and have a look,
hence the name.
You could do the same with you MG, in fact if you used heavy enough wall
tubing  and supports it could act as a new style roll cage! :-)

seriously, I don't think you will find much of any exhaust that will be Penn.
proof.  Good luck with the city and DOT
Rick Ewald