Re: Overheating mgb

To: William E Snyder <wsnyder@henderson.lib.nc.us>
Subject: Re: Overheating mgb
From: jess <jboatman@twlakes.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:01:56 -0500
Bill-
   1-Check for air bubbles in radiator, the presence of bubbles would be
an indication of head gasket leak, crack in head or block allowing
compression gasses into cooling system.
   2- Pressure test cooling system, it should maintain 14-17 pounds
pressure for a considerable length of time to be acceptable, (engine not
running but up to running temp.)
   3-Determine why # 3 cylinder is dead, I suspect some correlation
between #3 cyl. and o'heat. This engine will never run properly with the
disparity you are seeing in the compression, all cylinders should be
within 5 pounds, considering the work you had done. Probable cause of
engine running "lumpy".
   Did you change oil and filter after having head retorqued? Emulsified
oil will not properly lubricate your engine!
   Also check timing, water pump belt tension, cooling fluid level,
thermostat opening completely, hose on suction side of water pump
collapsing, etc.
   If you paid someone, calling himself a mechanic, to build this engine
for you, you may want to consider becoming a permanent part of his life
until he corrects the cause of this problem, at his expense.
   Good luck, this type of problem will make you feel older than you
deserve to be. Jess