Hellertown

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hellertown
From: Gene Fox <genefox@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:47:10 -0400
Nice show.
This was my first visit to the Hellertown show, but it certainly won't
be my last.
Good turn out of cars and lots of people obviously proud of their cars.
I still have not personally met the elusive DR. Doug but did see Larry
Macey, and Rick Brown.
The weather was cooperative for a car show.  Occasional sun and no real
threat of rain.
Ian Pender showed us a great little brew pub on the way home.
I think the pick of the pub was ½ pints of  Pheasant Plucker.  After a
pint or two obviously the mutations on the name got a little......  well
you do the math.

Have some techno babble to share with all of you.
I put a cross flow head with a DGV Webber as fuel source on a reworked
block.
There was another car at this show with the same setup.   While building
and testing, we both experienced the same problem.   Lean fuel in #2 and
#3 cylinders.  We both had to drill out the carbs and put in richer
needles (primary and secondary) to work around the problem. This setup
needs to run very very rich.   However, the real solve is in the
redesign of the intake manifold.  It needs to be curved instead of the
current right angle tubing.  So if any and all are moving to cross flow
heads and are modifying their blocks, I recommend the dual SU setup as
opposed to the Weber conversion. The intake manifolds for SU'sare far
superior design wise.  As an aside the Weber intake manifold is perfect
for throttle body fuel injection.  That's next year's project for me.

See you all at Bowie.