Re: Half a rebuilt master cylinder??

To: Cathy Morris <cathy.morris@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: Half a rebuilt master cylinder??
From: Rick Huber <rickhuber@home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:28:17 -0500
Cathy,

I had a similar thing happen to me during my 75 B restoration.  Rebuilt
the master cylinder, reinstalled, refilled, bled the fronts, but not
fluid out of the backs.  Left the bleed valves open for 24 hours to see
if the fluid would gravity drain into the wheel cylinders, but no.  Gave
up and progressed with the restoration.  A couple months later when we
got the car running, I checked the back brakes, and there was fluid
there.  Bled them, and they worked fine.  After driving the car for a
few days the rear brakes started locking up and overheating and I had to
have the car towed home with the back end in the air.  Turned out to be
the rear flexible hose in the brake system wasn't letting the fluid
return to the master cylinder after applying the brakes, so the shoes
wouldn't return to the normal position.  That hose was probably the
reason it took so long to get fluid to the back brakes also.

Hope that helps.

Safety Fast,

Rick Huber

'75 V8 B daily driver