misc stuff

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: misc stuff
From: <dstieber@paccar.com> (Drew Stieber)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 99 3:45:18 EDT
Overheating MGB:  Is your timing correct for the carbs (re jetted?) and cam
you are using?  Try retarding it a bit as an experiment and see if this
improves it.

Head gasket:  If you saw that much water in the oil that soon, your head
gasket may need replacing as it was blown in those first instants of life.
This will add to the cooling problem.  Also seeing low pressure on one
cylinder is odd that early in life, but it still has time to seat in (it
might also be your new head is cracked or any of a number of things but
lets be optimistic).  Give it some time as 200 miles is nothing.  Also if
one mechanic did all the work, camp out on his door step until he fixes it,
or gives you a reasonable explanation (example drive it for another 200
miles and bring it back).

Alternator diodes:  Sometimes they just go bad.  And unless you were
welding o nthe car with the ignition on, I don't think there is too much
you can do to the wiring to make the alternator go bad.  Maybe if you
forgot and reversed the battery polarity though, but this would be a
noticable Pop and smelling sound as that is alot of current.

77 MGB running on.  I saw some thread o nthis and had the same problem with
my B and it wasnt the ignition.  Due to EPA stuff this year had this funky
valve in front of the charcoal canister that closes after the ignition is
turned off and than opens after the oil pressure drops (wierd huh?)  that
serves to suck fumes from the canister into the carb.  Or maybe it was
create a vaccum on the float bowl?  I forget, but if you look at a plumbing
diagram it makes sense in a wierd emissions sort of way.   I bought a new
valve (fits in a square hole and has a big opening onthe bottom and a
passthrough for 1/4" hose) made sure the electrical stuff worked and golly
gee the running on condition went away.  As a test I disconnected it and
the problem came back.

Prince of darkness strikes:  The fuel and temperature are fed by a voltage
stabilizer (small can about 1 inch long) found up under the dash by the
tach I think.   Without my schematics I might be wrong though.

Thats probably enough to cover about 350 cents worth.  Your mileage may
vary.

Drew

68 MGB piles of parts with some new metal
66 BSA running restoration