RE: Fuel pump

To: <JRLNJ@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel pump
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:03:16 -0400
> It will start, and idle for a few minutes, then die.

Yup, probably is the pump.  Does it sputter at all, or just die without even
a cough?  If the latter is true, it could be an ignition problem, but it's
probably still the pump.

> How successful is rebuilding the pump?

Usually not very in my experience, and from what I've seen and heard.

> Is it better to just buy a new one?

My philosphy for mechanical parts is almost always "newer is better."
Rebuilds can be successful if you know what you're doing, but more often
than not just set you up for future woes.  This is especially true on
relatively inexpensive parts like brake cylanders and fuel pumps.

> Does anyone have good experience with a substitute pump, like a NAPA?

My $0.02 would be go with the SU.  It's the right part for the car, and
again, in my experience, trying to cheap out with an aftermarket part just
leads to trouble.  For instance, the SU pump puts out a whole lot less
pressure than most pumps, so if you get the wrong pump at NAPA, your floats
will overflow and make a big ugly mess, let alone prevent your car from
running.