RE: Alternator diodes

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator diodes
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:50:10 -0600
Thanks for the info Paul.  I don't think that is the problem.

Here is why I asked the question.  I have a 1970 B, the alternator diodes
went out.  So I installed another Lucas alternator I had lying around, the
diodes didn't work (or went out after installation?? don't really know
which).  So I installed a third Lucas and had the same problem.  I took all
of these alternators to the local auto parts store and they confirmed with
their equipment the diodes were bad.  One of the guys at the parts counter
suggested my car was "blowing" out the diodes, that didn't seem right to me
but I wasn't sure.

After I posted the original message to the list, I installed a GM alternator
that I had "lying around".  I just finished the 47th Annual Rallye Glenwood
Springs (total miles driven 450) and have had no problems.

I think I need a lesson on rebuilding alternators!  I mentioned this to a MG
friend, he gave me some advise, and has offered to help me rebuild one, so
it looks like I have a teacher.

Thanks again for the information.

Larry Hoy