Looking at a '74.5 MGB

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking at a '74.5 MGB
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 01:49:02 -0400
Hi,
I am new to the list, and to MG's in general. I've done some research in the
past weeks on MG's, MGB's in particular. I've found a Harvest Gold '74.5 for
sale on a local high-end used foreign car dealer. The car has only 67k on
the clock, and has the overdrive option (rare option for this year from what
I've read). The paint looked to be in pretty good shape, as did the interior
(except for that usual crack in the dashboard top) and the top. I know rust
is a big enemy of these cars, so I did a pretty thorough check of the whole
car. The sills, floor boards, fenders and door jambs appeared to be in good
condition with minimal rust present. The only spots I could see rust peeking
through was in the area in front of the rear wheels on both the driver and
passenger sides (I guess it is the frontmost part of the rear fender at the
bottom). Is rust in this area of the terminal type, or is it more cosmetic?
The vertical door alignment matched at top and bottom, so the frame does not
appear to be sagging. I did check most of the car with a magnet, and did not
find any evidence of Bondo present. I have yet to drive the car, but the
salesman did start it. It started rough (expected, hasn't been run for at
least 3 months), but did not smoke much. The car did have a slight stumble
when revved (carbs?). I also have not had a chance to go over the
electricals as of yet. I am intending to return to the dealer tomorrow to
give her a more thorough mechanical and electrical go-over, and also to take
a test drive. This particular dealer deals in pretty high-end stuff
(generally $20k on up), and the MGB has been taking up their valuable indoor
garage space since 11/98 when it was traded in. They are asking $2300 for
the car, and the price appears negotiable (could get it for probably about
$1800). I'd appreciate any opinions other MG owners out there have on the
car, what else I should look for when I take another look, etc. TIA.

Craig Niederst