Needles and EGR

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Needles and EGR
From: <dstieber@paccar.com> (Drew Stieber)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 99 7:47:17 EDT
James bond needles:  Could be alot of things but do the carbs have the
spring loaded poppets on the throttle butterfly?  If these go bad they stay
open, meaning you can never get to a low idle.  You can solder/glue them
shut easily.  Also many late MGBs had to have their final throttle set with
the clutch engaged.  Something about the added load of the throw out
bearing or something.

EGR valve:  Exhaust gas recirculation.  This is a vaccum operated valve
between the exhaust and the intake on later B.  It allows some exhaust
gases to be sucked in and reburned.  It is emissions related and is only a
federal offense to tamper with.  In fact I am surprised you can tell it
isnt working, cause unless you had an emissions test you would never know.
If it works it works, if it doesnt it doesnt.  I dont think there is any
way to rebuild them.

Your mileage may vary.

Drew