carb. problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: carb. problems
From: Richard Galica <RAAB1@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:49:23 -0400
I own a 1974 MGB and since I bought it I have been having carburetor
problems.  When first purchased it had to be driven home with the choke
open or it would kill.  Recently I've rebuilt the engine and I couldn't
even start the car with the timing and every thing adjusted and
readjusted.  So I cleaned out the carburetors and found them fairly
clean and didn't knotice anything out of order (although I'm not very
good at working with carburetors).  After cleaning them I got the car to
start and run well.  The only problem was on acceleration, when you stop
accelerating the car would sort of sputter and jolt and you have to hold
in the acl. pedal in more for it to stop.  A couple of days ago when I
pulled my car into the garage the idling speed dropped and my car died
and is was hard to start and when I did get it started it just died
again. I now have it runing again but when I'm driving it seems like the
car pulls itself backwards in a jolting type action even when I have my
foot on the gas pedal (during accel. and when I'm letting off the
pedal).  If you have any suggesstions please do share because I'm all
out of ideas.
                                        Braden G.