Boot lid stuck!

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Boot lid stuck!
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:01:32 -0500
        Greetings!

        Not so long ago, I bought a used boot lid to put on my son's '74 CB
to replace the original - which had been severely tweaked by some of his
well-meaning friends attempting to close the boot thinking the boot stay was
a gas shock. The replacement didn't fit exactly like I wanted - it's a bit
too long. I figure this is due to either some shoddy repair work from a
crash, or some minor variance between model years (the boot lid in question
is from an earlier car). Anyway, he went to open it the other day - nothing
happens. I can't tell if the latch is broken, or if the lid has shifted so
that pushing the button in doesn't release the latch. Is there any other way
to open the boot (short of a cutting torch or sawzall)?

Dan Pockrus
'74B in faded Citron