windshields and Batteries and rebuilds

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: windshields and Batteries and rebuilds
From: <dstieber@paccar.com> (Drew Stieber)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 99 3:41:28 EDT
Fogging of windshields:  Seems to me the older it is the more fogging
occcurs, but it takes quite a few years to start fogging.  Every MG I had,
had some fogging but non of the replacements fogged in the time I had them.
I bet it has to do with the quality of the laminate as the fogging occurs
in the plastic layer between the two pieces of glass (this is what makes it
"Safety glass").  But  windshields are relatively cheap ($100-$200) and if
you show your insurance guy how it may impair your vision and cause an
accident they may pay to have it replaced.

MGB Battery:  I forgot what group of 12 Volt battery will fit in the 6 volt
compartment of a 68 B.  Any body remember?  Other wise I will just measure
the hole and take a guess.

MGB woes:  I have started in earnest on the body work on my 68 B.  I
discovered that this car had been in a serious rear end collision.  The
entire left hand rear wing had been crushed well in to the wheel well.  I
could see where they pulled it back out, and filled in what was left with a
gallon of bondo.  They did good work....for Bondo.  I was planning on
cutting alot of this area out anyway and I really like welding.  If I was
smart I would buy a body shell...but I am not.

Rebuilds:  Anybody have any rational reasons of the rebuild over
replacement for things like master and slave cylinders?

My own experience and opinions:
Rear brake slave cylinders are not worth rebuilding.  These things live in
a nasty environment that rusts the bores and bleeder screws minimising the
success of a rebuild.  The new ones are relatively cheap too (or at least
they were).

Clutch slave cylinder:  Easy to rebuild if you can remove the bleed screw.
These things are simple, and the only problem I have seen with them (other
than the seals get tired and leak) is that some Bozo wrecked the bleeder
screw.

Later,

Drew