HRG Heads

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HRG Heads
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:30:21 EDT
<>

The set up you describe should make a very nice street engine.
Be careful to torque the alloy head properly. I trust that you were given
instructions with the head, but if you didn't, some things to watch out for:

- let the head cool down completely after initial fire up before retorquing
it (this is the opposite of what you do on a CI head)

- use proper thick high tensile washers under the head nuts or you will
damage the head surface

- do not torque to CI specs!!  The alloy heads use a lower value (I can look
it up for you if they didn't give it to you).

-I assume that you have clearanced the valve to head and pistons, to suit
your high lift rockers and cam, and that you haven't made a mistake that many
make of using too heavy a valve spring. Many times I have seen people
building street engines that will never or rarely see more than 6000 rpm,
using heavy springs that set valve bounce 500 rpm above anything they will
ever need - net result is worn valve gear at a much earlier mileage than need
be.

- make sure there is a shiled between the header and carbs, or fabricate one
for the float chambers

Anything else, feel free to drop me a line. I have a fair bit of experience
with these heads with SU and Weber carbs.

Bill Spohn