valves or carb?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: valves or carb?
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:21:52 EDT
Our old saying is that carburetor is a french word for "leave it alone". Most
times suspected carb problems are actually due to some other sub-system in
the car, such as valve lash, timing, ignition wiring, etc.
The fact that the problem went away and then came back makes me wonder about
your gasoline, fuel filter, etc.In your case, especially considering that
your LE sat so much, I'd start with a good gas additive and fuel filter
change, you could be burning off some collected crud and condensation. Also
make sure you are using a quality gasoline... and it may run better when you
get that California MTBE out of it. Even more likely is the chance of a
vacuum leak somewhere, that would tend to only show up at idle. Neil is on
the right track, except for your car doesn't have points. But it is possible
that your distributer has "come adrift". These types of problems just require
some time and patience to troubleshoot.

Enjoy your adventures!