canvas tops

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: canvas tops
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:18:41 -0400
I put a Robbins Stayfast top on my 77 roadster, not too long after they
first came out. It was the first one my LBC shop had sold, & they
obviously had never installed one before. Since no one knew if the
Stayfast top would shrink like the vinyl, it was installed slightly
loose. After a year of having the top flap at higher speeds, I asked to
have it re-fitted, which the shop was happy to do.

It is now 6 or 7 years later, the car sat outside all that time, as I
have no garage, & it was my daily driver. Just sold the car, top was
still a good fit, no shrinkage, & the purchaser asked if the top was
new.

One minor fault, after an hour or so of 70 mph, the top will stretch
some, but it comes back to its original shape in an hour or so.

We have installed a couple of Caribou tops for club members, they look
good, fit well, slighty inferior detailing , much lower cost, but none
have seen much outside duty, garage queens of sorts.

Highly recommend the Robbins, wash with the same soap used when washing
the reat of the car, a little more time spent rinsing is a good idea, so
you get no soap build up.

Jim Stuart
'74BGTV8, only car 'till I get the next one finished.