Re: stopping interior leaks

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stopping interior leaks
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:40:56 -0700
Based on my experiences...

1. the cowl vent can fill up with water, which then either oozes through
the seams or splashes out through the heater vents under hard cornering.
Moss sells a magnetic cover for the vent which I use when parked during
the rainy season. What it really needs is a pop-up vent a la TR3 (yeah,
Triumph had something right). There is also a slim chance that the heater
core is leaking -- hard to determine without sustained driving.

2. windscreens can leak under that big bottom seal when driving. Mine did
when newly installed -- I sent it back and they fixed it. Will the
PO-to-be let you do a garden hose test? Poor condition rubber could cause
a leak around any window, but I wouldn't think the vent windows would let
in enough water to notice unless left wide open. The hard top rear seal
usually isn't tight all the way across, but unless driving at high speed
in reverse or parked with the rear end facing incoming storm fronts,
shouldn't really be a problem. How is the fit at the top of the side
windows? Often there's a gap to the rubber seal.

3. the trunk seal can be a major problem if any sort of rear end bodywork
has been done. My original bootlid had the famous crease at the support
rod, and consequently had a gap you could stick your finger through
around 3 sides. I replaced it with a straight one, but that just made it
more apparent that one of the PO's bodged repairs has the whole rear clip
completely out of shape (half-inch short in the middle at the latch, 3/4"
short at the left tail light surround). Even with new seals, it gets wet
inside in a light rain, not to mention a car wash.

Definitely get a new bootlid (no satisfactory way to fix the old one),
which may solve your problem right there. Otherwise, well, put a plastic
trash bag around the spare and tools, and drill some extra drain holes
(avoiding the fuel tank, of course).

Good luck with the new MG!

macfan@vei.net had this to say:

--