Re: MG sightings

To: RHSinclair@USWest.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG sightings
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:07:38 -0500
Rick:

>    Anyway, I really appreciate all your help with my MG. If it seems
>I don't write much, It's because I have a limited income and can't
>buy parts that often.

Write anyway.  We can all use the input, and sometimes its just a good
way to keep in touch with the hobby.  You'd be surprised at where these
threads lead us.  I know the crimps a limited income can put on you, but
trust me, you can still work on your car, have fun, and do it for not a
lot of money (time, now, that's another story....).  A limited income is
nothing more than MOWOG's way of saying that you need to be more
creative.  For example, when my Lucas alternator failed, I figured out
how to replace it with an AC-Delco model (GM).

Anyway, your post got me to thinking (which I generally try not to do
when not at work):

Can the list suggest ways to improve one's MG for next to nothing, or
with a limited investment (say, a $25 cap)?

My suggestions:

        A good general degreasing and cleaning of the suspension, engine, and
undercarriage.  About ten dollars in quarters at the local car wash, or,
if you really want to do it well, stick it up on stands in the driveway,
remove all the wheels, put on a rain coat, and crawl underneath her with
a good nozzle on a garden hose.  Spray her down with degreaser first.
After she's clean, you could invest in a couple of cans of paint and
undercoating (about three dollars a can @ 2 cans paint and four cans
undercoat = $18).  Do the same with the wheels = a nice shiny coat of
paint on them really makes things look better.

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"  (LBC Support Vehicle)
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com