Steering gone bad, just got better

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering gone bad, just got better
From: "MIKE NADEAU" <NADE18@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:25:25 -0700
Hello everyone, I finished replacing the clutch in my uncle's "68" midget.
What a pain.  Took about 7 1/2 hours with about 3 hours of cleaning.  He
said the last time he changed the clutch was 12 years ago.  Made the
steering alot better by taking out both shims.  One was .010 and the other
.003.  Underneath the access nut there is a spring in what MOSS calls a
damper pad.  Looks to be a bronze material that the steering rack, from
turning back and forth ground a groove in the bottom of it.  By taking the
shims out you actually put more tension on the damper pad which tightens the
steering up.  At least, in this case.  Sorry it took so long to get this
message out and many thanks to all the responses I received.

Mike
"69" Roadster