starting prob., 77B, Continued

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: starting prob., 77B, Continued
From: "Allen Shaffer" <shaffer.2@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:56:14 -0400
Thanks much for the suggestions...

Andy was right...when I turn the key on, the panel lights come on (with the
switch off, of course). When I crank the car, the seat belt warning comes
on. So, I started checking for a "bad ground"... as best I understand that.

The battery ground is OK, and I would think the starter wouldn't crank if it
weren't. Under the car, and under the bonnet, all the wires seem connected
and seated. I've tried a new coil. I've replaced points and condenser. I've
done all the checks in the Haynes manual for spark, etc. and I do have spark
everywhere..just (obviously) weak. I have fuel and the carb is fine.

I have the feeling that I don't know where to look for this bad ground, and
that I don't know how to check properly. I've spent the whole day looking at
the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual and trying to make some sense of
what to do next, but I'm not having much luck.

Could these relays mounted to the inner wing be possibly bad? Could the
starter solenoid do this, if it went bad, and still crank the car OK? Given
the sudden nature of this failure, I was thinking that I'd find a
severed/disconnected/burned (something!) wire, but I haven't.

This is my first major problem, and I'm new to all of this although I've
read a lot and done all the work on the car myself so far. Any suggestions
on exactly what to do next would be deeply appreciated! ( I believe Lord
Lucas is administering his evil form of baptism....)

Allen and Marian
'77B
Columbus, Ohio