Painting question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Painting question
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:18:24 +1000
Hi all,

(crossposted to Healeys - pretend it's a Healey I'm painting. <G>)

I'm gradually progressing at a snails pace in the motor rebuild of my MGBGT
for racing. I'm trying to make the motor look nice and period for the old
race guys and well for me too. <G> Anyway I've been having some mixed
results applying the Maroon engine enamel. This is my first time at painting
car parts but I want to achieve a high quality result. I have managed to get
some parts to a lovely deep gloss using this approach.

1. Strip Part completely
2. Degrease
3. 1 Primer coat with Grey Metal Primer (for steel, Etch primer for
Aluminium) & PrepSol mix.
4. 1200grit w/d, Degrease
4. 1 Gloss Coat
5. 1200grit w/d the Gloss coat, Degrease
6. Second Gloss coat

I normally allow at least a week between Gloss coats, usually two. The
Enamel takes ages to harden and doesn't appear to be fully hardened until
about six weeks!

BTW, Feel free to critique and add suggestions to my process!

Normally that approach has seen my parts produce a lovely deep gloss, which
although not perfect (grit, water etc - no real filtering system on my
compressor & airbrush and a dusty garage) is pretty damn close and way good
enough for the motor - I will need to get better if I ever want to paint
panels tho!.

I allow all these parts to dry in the air, and it's quite cold here at the
moment. 10-15 degrees C. The ones I did last week have produced no gloss.
I'm wondering if it's the atmospheric conditions affecting the way the
Enamel is curing, it looks satin and sort of gritty and rough. I have heard
the best way to get Enamel to gloss is to put it in an Oven so it flows out.
If so, how? Can I do it at home? Do I paint the part first then stick it in
the oven - at what temp? Or is the part preheated then painted? Is baking a
solution to my problem? If it is, how do I get an oven big enough to stuff
the block in? lol! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I finally get my pistons today so I can actually commence the machining
phase! Yippee!

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2