[mgs]one plug misses

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [mgs]one plug misses
From: walter menge <walter.menge@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 99 16:43:19 Central Daylight Time
My experience causes me to look at the bushing in the distributor after swaping
a known good plug ( one that
fired in another position) where the problem exist. If the problem followes the
plug then the plugs is the
problem. This is also true with the wires. I am of the opinion that the
adjustment on the valves is less likely to
change than perhaps the valve  burn or have carbon build up that holds the
valve open for a time. Trouble
shooting firing problems is rather simple. I hold the center wire on the
distributor close to a good ground with
insulated pliers and crank the engine. No spark condition, then I make shure
that proper voltage is to the +
side of the coil in later cars from the ignition key  through the starter relay
if used. By starting with the
groundig of the coil wire and I have a spark lets me move to the down side of
the coil looking for a problem
in the distributor, spark plug wires or the plugs. I check for fire to the
plugs. No fire indicates there is a
problem getting through the distributor. I check, repair or replac points,
condensor, cap and spark plug wires.
If I have fire ro the plugs and a problem still exist then I look for a problem
with engine, valves adjustment,
timing, and  compression. If you don't remember any of this there are a few
things that are certain. Often we
attempt to tune engines when it is useless. A engine will run if you have fuel,
compression and fire at the right
time and if these are not present
the tune up will fall short of your expectations. I never suspect the fuel
system, namely the carburetor, until the
ignition and engine is in good shape.
When I have a hot condition I see that every thing the car was initially
equipped with is as it was when the car
was new, duct work, thermostat, timing, fans and etc. The radiator is known to
need cleaning as the car ages.
I never rebuild a engine without having the radiator rodded out or at least
checked.
I hope this helps to some degre with some of the problems beiung discussed.
Feel free to e-mail me Walter.Menge@gte.net since I am not able to moniter all
the lists all the time.
ForeignCars and Parts
2004 Guillory St.
Westlake Louisiana, 70669 (The Sportsman's Paradice)