Re: blowing smoke

To: Richard Galica <RAAB1@erols.com>
Subject: Re: blowing smoke
From: Nazarian James H <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:57:25 -0600 (MDT)
Without seeing the exact problem and the color of the smoke you may get
lucky and have it be a rich condition in the fuel.  More than likely
however it is blowby on a valve or in the rings.  You say the the engine
was just rebuilt and I will assume it was done well and all parts were
within tolerances so my first inclination would be a valve that is
adjusted wrong.  Depending on how you drive this may only show up when it
is hot.  If a valve is to tight and you baby the car cold (as you should)
you probably won't see anything, but when you rev it out on hills it will
start to blow some smoke.  Check the valves on the exhaust side and make
sure they are adjusted correctly.  If that doesn't seem to fix the problem
you may need to pull the head and check the rings.  I am assuming that you
are blowing smoke out the exhaust, if if is comeing from under the bonnet
then it is an oil leak that is getting burned off the headers or the
block.  Hope this helps.

James Nazarian
'71 B
"74 BGT (becoming a V8)