Re: 1970 MGB Smog

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: 1970 MGB Smog
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:47:54 -0400
Larry Hoy wrote:
> At idle CO was 4.96, and at 2500rpm it was 2.67, limit is 5.5

Lean it out slightly.  Leaning will decrease CO.  It will also decrease
HC UPTO A POINT then HC will go up (due to lean misfire).

> At Idle HC was 2000, and at 2500rpm it was 2000, limit is 1000

Theses are very high, check for misfire (ignition system most likely
cause), since mixture should be close with good CO (though your idle CO
is marginal)

> My question is about the vacuum advance unit.  I don't think it is working.
> I removed the distributor and sucked and blew on the vacuum advance, no
> movement.  I noticed an air sound coming from where the flange [the one the
> hose slips over] and the vacuum advance unit join, I assume that's bad.  I
> also noticed oil coming out of the vacuum advance unit.  Any comments?

Timing will also effect HC.  Can't remember for sure put I believe you
want the timing retarded (at stock point or with less advance).  The
leak in the vacuum unit will effect mixture so it should be replaced
(though you may be able to pas without it).

Air pump would help but I don't believe it is absolutely needed to pass.

Good Luck