Re: 64b value?

To: SpuriousV8@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 64b value?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:55:10 EDT
In a message dated 7/11/99 2:31:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ajhsys@aol.com
wrote:

<<<  I don't have a B, but if I remember correctly the '64 would have the 3
main bearing engine.  This could be a bargaining point, as it isn't as
durable as
 the newer 5 main.

Then SpuriousV8@aol.com writes:
< I have had a 1964 MGB 3 main, for 8 years now, and  run it just as hard as
 run my V8, I have never had a problem  aside from needing to be rebuilt
after
 30 some odd years of driving the roads on the east coast. >

There you go.  Only 30 years and you had to rebuild the engine!

(Only kidding!)  I knew that I would elicit comments if I said that the 3
main wasn't as durable as the 5 main.  And since I don't have either, I am
not really qualified to state it anyway.  My point was that BMC decided to
replace the engine in the B with 5 main bearings, so you would think
durability would be the reason.  It makes a good bargaining point when buying
a car.

Change the oil and filter every 3K miles and your engine will last a long
time.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport