Re: Dizzy springs, MG sightings

To: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dizzy springs, MG sightings
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:36:12 +0100
Four different distributors I have for 4 cyl and V8 B's all have one thin
and one thick spring, the thin spring is under tension on its pegs whereas
the thick spring has some play - i.e. the weights will have to move out a
little before it takes effect.

One of the dizzies I have has a very much lighter spring than the other.  I
dynamically adjust the timing to 8 degrees BTDC then checked the static
timing and found it was about 2 degrees *A*TDC.  This does seem to confirm
to me that the light spring controls advance at low rpm and the heavy spring
controls advance at higher rpm, and gives relatively retarded timing for
starting as opposed to running.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/