Sloppy box

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sloppy box
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:19:12 -0400
>OK, so maybe it is not sloppy but it is certainly negligent in its
>responsibilities.  Well what would you think of your gearbox if, on hard
>decelleration or accelleration (it now turns out) it just decided to
>'let go' of second gear.  That is, it simply spits the gear stick back
>into neutral with a rather disturbing THUNK.

This happened to me several years ago with my old '80 Datsun 200SX
hatchback.  When in reverse, the gear shift would pop back into neutral
unless I physically held it in place.  Upon inspection, it turned out that a
small splinter of metal had made its way into the transmission, and was
slowly sanding down the syncros.  Later, the splinter, or a larger piece of
metal, got caught between the teeth of the reverse gear.  With each turn of
the gear, there was the tendency for it to disengage.  The problem was that
much of the rest of the transmission had been getting essentially
sandblasted also, so the repair was rather expensive.

I would look into it quickly.

Regards,

Charles
Bloomfield, NJ
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
'74 Midget

Emotional maturity age equivalent = 28  (as per the previously posted
formula)