Bad shock from O/D.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad shock from O/D.
From: "Walt Goddard" <waltcpa@sierra.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:00:00 -0700

Tuesday night I repaired/tightened the shift lever/OD switch on the 77. (at
least I thought I did)
Driving to work Wed morn. no problems, shifted in/out of OD fine.  Driving
home, had my left arm resting on the top of the door, steering with right
hand.  Switched to left-hand steering and reached down to shift out of OD.
As soon as I started to flip the switch - WHAM!! - SEVERE shock across the
chest.  Didn't like that much so I didn't put my arm back on the door.  No
problems switching in/out of OD.  Pondered a bit and chalked it up to
unexplainable electronic phenomenon.

Drove to work again, no problems (too cool to put arm on door in mornings).
Headed home, arm on door.  As soon as I switched into OD, felt sharp pain in
left arm like a needle or sliver poking it.  Raised arm and checked for
splinters, etc. (still hadn't really connected the OD switching with the
shock).  Found nothing, put arm back down and needed to shift out of OD.
You guessed it - WHAM!! - SEVERE shock across chest again.  Well this time I
know it had to be something to do with the OD, but I'm not sure what.

One of the problems is my lack of desire to experiment with fixes since the
experiments are quite painful.  I did pull the switch and change the wires
which is the only thing I could think of that might have changed.  Have not
driven it again and will wait for some words of wisdom, or at least
encouragement from the list.

Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone?  Anyone?  I need a day off.

Walt
waltcpa@sierra.net