MGA Generator Problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Generator Problems
From: Parker J Whiteway <parkerw@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 10:15:53 EDT
Hi listers,
        Here's the deal, the DPO had replaced parts of the wire from the
generator to the battery and voltage regulator with lamp cord.  This
stuff did not have the capacity for a generator, but they seemed to hold
up, and the battery charged, the ignition light would go off if the
engine was above an idle.  I was warned to replace these lamp cords with
some decent wire before they all melted, so I replaced the one that goes
from the big terminal to the battery with 10 gauge wire and the other,
(small terminal to voltage regulator) with 14 gauge wire.  Now, I start
the car up and the ignition light won't turn off.  My ammeter stays at a
little below 0 amps (it used to work too) and when I test the DC volts at
the large terminal on the back of the generator, I can't get more than
about 2 volts, at any engine speed.  I didn't touch anything else excepts
I tightened the bracket that holds the ignition coil to the top of the
generator, could that be it?  I'm completely confused...  any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Parker Whiteway
57 MGA
It could be worse, it could be a nice day out.  I don't mind driving my
dad's Honda accord in the rain.