RE: Miata (& MG) Stuff/Climax

To: REwald9535@aol.com
Subject: RE: Miata (& MG) Stuff/Climax
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:55:27 -0700
> As far as the coventry Climax I was told a number of years
> ago by a Lotus
> freak that this engine came out of WW2 as a fire pump engine that was
> designed to be HAND CARRIED past collapsed building / rubble
> to help put out
> fires.  This required a light weight high output engine.  I
> have no clue if
> this is true, can anyone confirm?
> Rick Ewald

Rick:

        A friend in Santa Cruz has one of the hand carry pump assemblies in
his garage.  He purchased it at an industrial selloff for a pittance.  He
wanted the Climax engine for his Lotus 7 (currently flat head Ford powered).
I have begged him to leave the assembly intact as it is a beautyful piece of
automotive history.  The engine and pump assembly is about 3'6" long by 2'
built into a carry frame.
        When I worked in Colorado, our vintage race company purchased a
batch of 3 Coventry Climax outboard motor assemblies.  This was another use
for the lightweight powerplant.  The engines were mounted vertically.  The
crankshaft was unique, but there was a company manufacturing conversion
parts to reconfigure the motor to horizontal/in-line use in racecars.  Again
this was a cheap source of Coventry Climax power units.

Kelvin.