Rally story, digest request

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rally story, digest request
From: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:04:36 -0500
My computer crashed Friday.  Luckily I had just backed up so I didn't
loose much.  If anyone has a copy of Digest number 1671 I would
appreciate it if you could send it to me.

Saturday morning the local Austin Healey club organized a rally.  This
was a gimmick rally / scavenger hunt with an appropriately chosen theme
of roadkill.  Mileage and times would be used as tiebreakers only with
the team who found the most items winning the day.  In order to fill out
the entry list, they invited our MG club to participate as well.

Some nice cars showed up.  It seems, locally at least, that Healey
people are more willing to modify their cars as several sported
performance upgrades in the 100LM/ factory rally car vein.  Three MG's
were there- two RBB's and one 61 MGA with a bent bonnet.

By the end of the day, the MGA was hauling home the winner's trophy- a
bunny Beany Baby.  Lindsay and I had 47 of a possible 50 points while
the second place team had 44 points.  To give you a feel for the event,
one clue was to find the "Blue Swedish Roadkill."  We found a blue house
with the name "Isaacson" on the side and a small blue wooden horse above
the garage door- piece of cake!  At least the prize wasn't an "Austin
Healey Parking Only" sign or something like that.  I don't have room
right now for another car ;-)

The MGA ran flawlessly as always.  It was a beautiful day and the route
was well chosen- twisty and scenic. The route instructions and clues
were challenging but not impossible.   Lunch was in Marine on St. Croix-
site of the first lumber mill in Minnesota and also a rare/out of print
automotive book store run by the founder of Classic Motorbooks and his
son.  I had fun browsing but am presently saving my money for MGA shocks
and Jaguar parts.

I hope they invite us back next year!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA now 2 for 2 in rallies this year
1985 navigator/ pain in the butt daughter Lindsay
1989 daughter Kelly who gets car sick :-(
19?? wife Nancy who would kill me if she was the navigator