'77 'B smog results are in! longish

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '77 'B smog results are in! longish
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:16:00 EDT
Dear listers,

About two weeks ago, I mentioned I had a problem with not being able to pass
the CA smog check due to a manual choke.  I would like to thank everyone who
helped me during my plight.

Today I smogged my car, and the tech. running the dyno said it was one of the
cleanest running MGB's he's seen!  I found a way around the earlier
non-ported head by machining an inch-thick piece of aluminum to fit between
the heater valve and the cylinder head.  I then drilled and tapped the side
of the piece to accept a pipe fitting and ran heater hose around the back of
the block to the auto choke.  The AL cost me $2, the pipe fitting $0.99, the
tap was $8.99,  two inch-and-a-quarter screws to secure it all together, and
two gaskets made it happen!  It all looks very rough (I used a sawz-all, a
file, and a buddy's drill press), but it worked like a charm!

I have done all of the work on this car myself, so I feel not only was it a
test for my car but for my mechanical ability as well.

I'd like to thank Pat Bailey for all his help and for lending me parts off of
his own MGB; I am very grateful and will do everything in my power to repay
you!  (For those of you on the list, Pat and I met when he asked the list if
there were any Brit car clubs in Bakersfield, and I told him about the
Bakersfield British Car Club!  This list is a truly wonderful thing!)

Thank you all once again for your help.

Sincerely,
Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB  "Now, where did I put that SU rebuild kit?"