Re: jag e-type

To: Johnmowog@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net, lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: Re: jag e-type
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:08:48 -0700
On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 04:14:45PM -0400, Johnmowog@aol.com wrote:
> First I coudn't agree more with point #1!!!
I speak with the voice of experience.

> #2 has me puzzled a bit, I think you're comparing apples to oranges, since
> the example given in the price of fixing up a GT to perfection as opposed to
> the initial  cost of the E-type. First, I see decent E-type coupes for less
Yes, but a reasonably stock E-type would blow the doors off just about
any MGB that was still recognizable as such.

> than 16k, but regardless of that, I bet I can find a drop-dead gorgous BGT
> for you for less than half that much. Fixing up your own car may be a
> different story, but that would depend on where you are starting from. Give
> me 16K to build a GT and I'll make you very happy while living well on the
> profits.
I said that was about what I was expecting to have spent on mine when I was
done:

$    1  To buy the car  (see point #1)
$5,000  already invested in making the car mostly mechanically sound.

$1,000  roll cage
$  400  seats
$  200  belts
$  400  fuel cell
$  400  carpet kit
$  200  rear window with defrogger
$2,000  paint job

$  600  machining bottom end
$  200  baffled sump
$1,200  head work
$  400  exhaust system
$  200  rebuild of O/D
$  200  venolia pistons
$  100  Cam
$  400  HS6 carbs
$  600  other bits of trick racing shit and misc parts for motor

$  800  Limited Slip Diff
$  200  Panhard rod
$  200  composite leaf spring
        ( note that the axle from an Rx7 GSL has LSD, disk brakes and
        Watts linkage and only costs $200, but is 5.3" wider than
        an MG rear end)
$1,000  15" wheels

I'm just doing off the top of my head guesses on costs, it
was a few years ago that I figured that I'd be about $10,000 into
it, which really meant about $15,000.

Having done some restoration work and built a couple of race cars
from the ground up, I KNOW that it costs twice as much as you think
it will.

> I would question whether anyone to try to build a show-quality e-type, even a
> 2+2, for less than 20-25k++ even if starting cheap with a decent car. The
I could be way off base on the cost of restoration, and may have picked
exactly the wrong car as an example.  Experience has taught me that the
most expensive parts are the labor that I can't do myself.  Machining is
usually about the same no matter what the motor, likewise paint.

> proverbial 12-15k E-coupe would not be close to a show car by Jag standards..
But for $12-15k you would have a car with more torque than you're
likely to get out of an MG motor that would hold together more than a
month, a car with one of the prettiest shapes to ever grace the public
highways, and an engine note so beautiful that it could put most symphonies to
shame.

> So maybe throwing buckets of money at a GT could bring you close to a jag
> price, but in this example it seems that for the money you would have a
> Perfect GT as opposed to a decent but used and worn E type. Considering what
> it would then cost to perfect the E-type, the B looks like a bargain no
> matter what you spend on it.
Yes, and $16,000 would also buy you a brand spanking new honda civic in,
by definition, perfectly restored condition.  Said car would also blow the
doors off of almost any MGB on the road (the Vtec civic puts out about the
same horsepower as the mgbgt-v8).

Also a lot of the restoration cost depends upon what you are starting
with.  If it's a complete rust bucket, the MG would be cheaper.  Ifi
it's a fairly complete car that needs an engine rebuild, interior,
paint job and suspension bushings the delta in price is probably less
than 30%

   lrc

--
Welcome to the O/S California. You can log out any time you like ...
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc