Re: Racing Wires

To: "Eric Erickson" <eric@erickson.on.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Racing Wires
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:41:13 -0700
Well, in the big picture, look at all those old photos of Fangio and
Stirling Moss driving the hell out of much more powerful cars -- with
wire wheels. So "in principle" wire wheels can be suitable for extremely
demanding applications.

The question is, are *your* wire wheels suitable? That is more difficult
to answer. But I would think that a hypothetical perfect set of wheels
and hubs woud be adequate for the racing you describe. So, keep a close
eye on the spoke tension and center nut tightness, and check the splines
frequently, and see how it goes. My experience is that problems such as
broken spokes, out-of-trueness, and loose center nuts make themselves
obvious very quickly by vibration, clunking noises, etc.

What you may find is that the amount of maintenance the wire wheels
require given heavy abuse makes it economically attractive to replace
them sooner rather than later.

BTW I find that moderate street driving here in the land of earthquakes
and CalTrans leads to replacing 2 or 3 spokes a year. I have no racing
experience to draw upon, so YMMV.

Eric Erickson had this to say:

--

Max Heim