MGB battery conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB battery conversion
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:35:00 EDT
Hi all,

A couple of days ago I was faced with replacing the batteries on my '73 MGB.
I have had the car for 14 years and had kept the car original, replacing the
two six volt batteries with more of the same on two occassions. It is good
that they last quite awhile. I suppose the lack of a hot engine bay helps
prolong their life.

The last time (about five years ago) I had to buy batteries, I paid about $75
each and had to get them through Moss as my local source was not carrying
them anymore. I had looked in the Moss catalog and found that they were now
$101 each (plus freight). They are shipped dry too, so you also have to buy
some acid and then handle discarding the left over acid properly. All of this
was just too much.

You folks had several good suggestions for ways to convert and I was about to
do so when I discovered that they were still available through Exide. When I
found that I could buy them for $50 each, I decided to keep the car original
at least one more time.

If anyone is about to convert, be sure to try your local Exide distributor
first and make sure you want to do so. The Exide batteries even look like to
old tar top style, even though I think it is really epoxy.

R. Johnson - Dallas