RE: Harness wrap

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: RE: Harness wrap
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:57:42 -0700
Carl:

        There are companies that will rewrap cloth covered harnesses.  But
the harness obviously has to be out of the car.

        The cost of new harnesses for the B's makes it more cost effective
to replace rather than rewrap, as the original harness usually has corroded
and damaged connectors.  In cases of unique harnesses the rewrap is the way
to go.

        For spot repair, about the only thing I can suggest on the early
harnesses is regular black vinyl electrical tape.  Tacky but effective.  I
had to use that on my 65B race car as a new harness was not in the budget
when I built the car.  Keep tension on the tape so that it stretches
slightly and overlap 1/4 of the wrap.  Leave as much of the cloth on as
possible and wrap on top of it.  This keeps the wiring compact and in
correct alignment.  Plan on a replacement harness when you are ready to make
the underhood area perfect.

        The friction tape you got, was used on the harness where the wiring
bundles join the main harness.  For later cars we did source the original
none-adhesive blue wrapping tape, which works great but would look a tad
silly in your engine compartment.

Hope this helps

Kelvin.

Who has wrapped quite a number of custom race car harnesses, with his trusty
roll of tape.