Yet more alternators

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet more alternators
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:50:45 -0400
I don't think this message went through, but if it did already, my humble
apologies...

I'll be putting the new alternator in my car soon, but I have a bit of a
challenge.  The PO has modified the wiring for it.  It *was* a three wire
setup, but now has been converted to a two wire setup.  The third wire
(which I believe went to the regulator) has been completely removed from the
wiring harness.  The two remaining wires are:  1)  Solid brown, and thick
2) Brown w/ white tracer, thin.

So...what now?  I'm not really excited about trying to replace the missing
wire, but I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate the alternator mod simply
by the compare and contrast method.  Does anyone know what this guy has
going on here, and what (if any) benefit has been acheived by doing so?

Thanks,

=J=