Final update starting problem 79B...really fixed!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Final update starting problem 79B...really fixed!!
From: Nferre@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:23:15 EDT
Hi Gang!!!

You may remember late last week I was having a problem with my car not
starting.  I had replaced my battery, then found a bare wire (no insulation)
on the wires going to the alternator.  I thought I had the problem fixed.

The next day, I jumped into the B, and no start.  So I surmised I needed a
starter.  Went down th the auto parts store (they got a rebult starter for me
same day) and got that put in.  It was still not starting unless hooked up to
my battery charger/jump box.

I finally determined that it had to be a severe current draw on the battery,
and checked all the wires I could think of...still no solution.  Today, I bit
the bullet and bought a rebuilt alternator....and shazam!!!!   the problem is
truly fixed!!!

BTW, the old alternator never gave me a warning sign, just went bad, and the
guy at the parts store I deal with here in town said that he keeps them on
the shelf because they tend to go bad every 3 years or so.   I happened to
put in the "old" one 3 years ago.

At least the new one has a lifetime guarantee...I won't have to pay for any
more!!!

Nels Ferre
Lake Mary, FL
79 MGB