Re: rear suspension geometry

To: Jason Dutt <jason@markerman.com>
Subject: Re: rear suspension geometry
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:12:17 -0500
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:59:04 -0400
"Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com> wrote (and I quote):

> Also, I've seen many pickups with a weird configuration with one
> toward the front and one toward the rear of the car at the rear axle.
> What's up with that?  Does it just provide better front to back
> stabilization for the axle on bigger trucks?

Jason:

Trucks use this arrangement to help prevent the axle from twisting as
the truck acclerates.  Truck engines generally produce more torque than
passenger vehicles.

My MG will spin the rear driver's side wheel on left-hand turns more
frequently than the passenger-side tires on right-hand turns.  Why?  the
twisting of the axle causes the left-hand side of the rear axle to lift,
while it forces the right-hand side down towards the pavement.

The opposing shock design you see resists some of this force.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
1999 Wheel-chock chaser with a cut nose from the.....
1985 Wheel-chock with a vicious attitude
pokrefke@netdoor.com