Re: Clutch slip or ?

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.com>, "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch slip or ?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:01:32 +0100
My experience of clutch slip is when the friction material wears down and/or
the springs are no longer exert enough pressure.  This type of problem is
more noticeable in top gear.  Replace clutch.  On the other hand, oil on the
friction plate makes the clutch action very 'sharp' i.e. it is either in or
out, little in between.  Replace crankshaft oil seal (usually).  If the
clutch hydraulics require bleeding the symptom is usually that the gears
crunch even though the pedal is right on the floor, and the clutch starts
engaging very early in the pedal travel i.e. when it is still very near the
floor.

HTH,
PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/