Re: Midget Owners?

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Owners?
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:37:26 -0400
Good Points but a couple of Items from a 20 yr Midget owner

>My impressions of driving a CB Midget vs a CB B:
>
>1. Leg, shoulder, thigh room -- the Midget is seriously constrained in
>these areas compared to a B. If you fit, you're golden -- if you don't
>fit, there's not much you can do about it (liposuction? amputation?
>remove the doors?). Try before you buy.
Fits like a fine driving glove on my 6'1" 185 lbs frame.

>2. Steering and straight-line stability -- the B's steering is quick and
>precise. The Midget's steering is even quicker, some might describe it as
>"nervous". Combined with the short wheelbase and rear-end steer, it keeps
>you on your toes, so to speak. No chance of falling asleep at the wheel.
The rear end steering is caused by the rubber between the axle and the
spings. Tighten the U-Bolts till it squashes the rubber and the rear
steering goes away. Just measure the distance to the front to insure that
the rear is straight before doing this.

>3. Performance -- at least driving solo, the Midget seems quick enough,
>revving readily. On paper it doesn't impress, but in real life it's fun.
>Sure, it's buzzy at freeway speeds, but what do you want? <g> I haven't
>done any extended trips in a Midget, but I know a lot of listers have.
2300 miles in 2 weeks with all camping geear for three. Camped every
night but one. Comfortable the entire trip. Took it out for a 50 mile
cruise 2 days after I got back (the day after would have been INSANE)

>4. Prestige -- the only "social stigma" attached to the Midget (if you
>care to put it that way) is that it is essentially a "badge-engineered"
>Austin-Healey Sprite. But that is certainly a legitimate heritage,
>sportscar-wise. And MG has a long tradition of Midgets, and small
>displacement sportscars of all kinds. So I wouldn't think there is any
>parallel to the Porsche situation you mention. I have been known to
>gently tease Midget owners on occasion, but really, they're part of the
>family.
An MG is an MG. ANd remeber the T series are really Midgets as well.

>FWIW, IMO, etc... if you like it after a test drive and it checks out
>mechanically, don't hesitate!

Tom get it!!

Larry

>Tomsjetta@aol.com had this to say:
>
>>Hello-
>>
>>A beautiful Midget has caught my eye, and I was curious to see what kind
>>of a
>>Spridget presence there is on this list.
>>
>>If there are any of you out there, I'd like to know how these cars are on
>>the
>>highway (Can I sustain 55-65 without going nuts?), will I blow off to the
>>shoulder when a semi passes me at 80? How different is driving a Midget than
>>an MGB? Do MG fans like these cars, or are they frowned down upon by the
>>purists, the same way that, say, Porsche fanatics looks at the
>>914/924/944/968/928 cars?
>>
>>I'd love to hear of any good web resources (I've already hit britishcars.org
>>and Midgetweb).
>>
>>Thanks for your time,
>>
>>Tom
>>

>--
>
>Max Heim
>'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section