RE: I bought my first MG!

To: "'Tomsjetta@aol.com'" <Tomsjetta@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: I bought my first MG!
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:42:09 -0400

>Listers-
>
>To start, I want to thank all of you who gave me such great insight and
>advice during my "Shopping experience." Although in early June I set out to
>buy an MGB, I fell in love with a Midget instead, and tonight, I bought her.
Congrats - and you are welcome.

>I pick it up tomarrow.
>
>She's a british racing green '78 with black top & interior and Rostyle
>wheels. Car is rust-free, interior is immaculate, paint in original, but
>overall excellent shape. Only 69k miles, engine bay clean, but did not
>appear
>to have been cleaned per se. Car has Weber carbs, but everything else
>appears
>to be bone stock; even the original radio works.
Stock radio works - amazing!! BTW Must Midgets I've seen have a lot less
problems with rust than B's, Not sure why - they just do. This
observation confirmed by a British gentleman that has worked on MG's for
30 years prior to retiring to the Philly area.

>The car sat for over three months on a car showroom floor. Battery was dead,
>
>but after a jump she started on the first turn with nothing more dramatic
>than a small poof of smoke, then nothing. Car idled very steadily, and drove
>
>well. No shaking, sputtering, hesitating, nothing. Shifted very easily too.
>The brakes were Ok, not great, but they stopped the car. I'm still not used
>to no power brakes.
Ypu'll get used to it.

>The driver's mirror had been knocked off-will some Crazy Glue fix this? I'm
>guessing I should have the mirror replaced-I'll do it myself since the base
>is fine, if possible. The car needs to be inspected, so I need the following
>
>fixed right off the bat:
>
>Hazard lights do not work.
Mike's comments aside, I agree that the switch is the most likely source
of this little problem. Well reported and faily easily fixable.
>Windshield wipers don't work, and the stalk is broken.
Take Mike up on his offer.

>That's it, but I may want some new tires, just so we start out fresh. I'm
>also thinking about a new battery. Jury is still out on that one. Oh yes,
>the
>map/interior light doesn't work.
Probably the bulb

>I paid $3,000, which I think is a good deal. A Midget of the same vintage
>and
>same shape is selling for double the price a few towns away. But, beyond
>that, I am really very happy about my purchase, and cannot wait to start
>driving her.
That bites. - Damn good price for the condition described.

>Thanks again for your help!
>
>Tom
>'78 Midget

PS Join the Spridgets list (spridgets@autox.team.net)

Congrats again and Welcome to one of the more exclusive MG groups.

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?