Re: It runs!

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It runs!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:49:45 +0100
If you *are* using a 6v coil without a ballast you have probably burnt the
points, hence the poor running.  The ballast is a length of resistance wire
of about 1.5 ohms that starts of white at the ignition switch end and
finishes up white/light-green at the coil +ve terminal.  From there it is
extended on to a special terminal on the solenoid that only gives out a
voltage during cranking.  This boosts the voltage at the coil during
cranking for ease of starting.

I don't think the one-wire alt is standard for any year, it sounds like a
modern after-market jobbie, what do you do for an ignition warning light?
Two- and three-wire alts have one (or two) browns that go to the hot
terminal of the solenoid and the brown/yellow indicator wire.  The electric
temp gauges are shown as having a green/blue to the transmitter.

Green is fused ignition and feeds things like instruments, turn signals,
wipers, heater fan etc.

White/black is used between distributor and coil, can't spot a black/white.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
or if that doesn't work try
http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1