Back in the fold

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Back in the fold
From: "Michael S. Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:39:30 -0400
Hello all,
        It's been a while since I last posted, due to my getting a real-life
job.  In that time, a good bit has happened to my MG.  For those who
don't know, i have a '74 Chrome bumpered MGB that i drove through my
last year of college.  I knew it was in need of a restoration, but I
never knew it needed it this badly...
        The first sign came a week after I left home this summer.  My dad was
driving the MG, and I suppose the car had some separation anxiety,
because the transmission went.  I'm pretty sure it's the tranny anyway;
when I disengage the clutch with the wheels off the floor, the
driveshaft doesn't turn but the gearbox makes a terrible sound, almost
like it's filled with gravel.
        I took this as a sign that a full restoration was in order.  If you
remember, I was battling an oil consumption problem and a weak rear-end
so this breakdown was not a major shock.
        What was a shock was the price quoted to me for bodywork - over $5000!
When asking why, my greatest fears were revealed - when the DPO redid
the sills, he forgot to keep the car in alignment.  Not only were my
door gaps off by about a half an inch, but the subframe was also out of
line.  Add to this the fact that my bodyman (who happens to be a
relation) found that the car was about 60% putty, and I have a recipe
for a new MG!
        I'm not selling mine, I have too many good memories in it.  What i am
planning on doing is getting a heritage bodyshell.  Well, not right
away, but in a year or so, unless someone has a forgotten restoration
project lying around...
        Has anyone gone through the heritage bodyshell experience?  If so, what
can you tell me?
        Just remember folks, if you're looking for an MG to keep for life, get
one with a good body...At any rate, it's good to be back on the list
again.

--
Mike Lishego
Media Coordinator