Distributor Problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor Problem
From: Robert Zirpolo <rzirpolo@javanet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:46:41 -0400
Greetings,

So sorry to ask such a vast question but I've got nothing to lose.  In
July of last year I had a reputable repair shop install a new
distributor into my 72 MGBthat. teh distributor was purchased from a
very reputable national parts supplier .  Just recently I was having
some ignition anomolies and brought it to the shop for some diagnosis.
The end result was that the distributor shaft was moving back and forth
and could not hold a dwell setting and the points were
almost fully closed.  Since the installation I've put a little over 3000
miles on the car. Not hard miles like rallys or racing,just local
driving, 50% on the highway.  Not that I expect anyone to be clairvoiant
about my particular problem......BUT, what "could" cause a problem like
this?  What can I look at as a possible link?

Also, I completely rebuilt my SU HIF's about 10,000 miles ago.  I have
been lucky in that they have held the tuning and such but am wondering
if there is an approximate time I can expect to get out of them before
they would need rebuilding again. While on an engine analyzer recently a
technician said he was having trouble getting the mixture rich enough at
idle    before running becomes rough.

Any help would be appreciated. e-mail me privately if you like.

Regards,

Robert Zirpolo