Education on a carb - chapter successfully over

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Education on a carb - chapter successfully over
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:56:11 -0400
Ah the list. Public thanks TJ Pokrefke, Trevor Boicey and a few others for
talking me through how a carb works.

I finally realized the logic of a carb and made a syllogism:
Carbs regulate the amount of gas according to operating conditions.
The amount of gas was toooo great so it flooded immediately.
Therefore, the carb is not regulating the gas.

(Many years of education to make the above relationships! Money well spent???)

So what regulates the gas, the float, and I had turned my carb upside down
to solder the poppet closed during a detox. Maybe I jammed the float in a
way that kept the gas valve fully opened.

I took the bowl off, made sure the float moved freely and reassembled. With
trepidation, my son turned the key while I watched and voila!, the engine
caught immediately. It sounded just like an engine out of tune which it was.

Chalk up another success for the list. You are invaluable.

:)
Bill
'76B
Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Between the approximation of the idea and the precision
of reality, there is a small gap of the unimaginable."
Milan Kundera - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"