Re:Brake bleeding

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Brake bleeding
From: Mike Dwyer <mldwyer@saber.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:20:27 -0700
> Paul Hunt wrote:
>
> > Changed all my clutch hydraulics and brake m/c on the V8 yesterday, so had
> > the opportunity to try something I have been wondering about for a while but
> > haven't seen mentioned anywhere.  It worked a treat so I pass it on.
> >
> > Flushed (!) with success I wondered if it would work for the brakes too - it
> > filled the M/C but there was still air in the system, even after two
> > sessions with the Gunsons conventionally on the M/C.  Eventually I used a
> > combination of Gunsons and the Navigator standing on the pedal while I
> > snapped the bleed nipples open and shut - got a lot more air out and now
> > have a hard pedal.
> >
> > Still, it was very successful for the clutch.  Total bleeding time about
> > five minutes, and full clutch travel first time.  In hindsight, I needn't
> > even have removed the cap off the Gunsons tube.
> >
> > PaulH.
> > http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
> > (or if that URL doesn't work try   )
> > (http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)
>
> Hi Paul,

Great work on the clutch.  I think the reason the same proceedure did not work
on
the brakes is due to the bleeder valves usually being higher than the entry
line for
the brake fluid.  The air gets trapped at the top of the caliper or cylinder,
and
stays at the top as the brake fluid flows past it.  A "Mity Vac" bleeder sucks
the
air and fluid from the bleeder valve.  I am fortunate to have come upon a
pressure
bleeder from a closing gas station.  It pressure feeds brake fluid to the master
cylinder and I open the brake valves one at a time.  Flushes and refills the
system.  Additionally, be carefull as pumping the pedal can push the seals (arf,
arf) in the master cylinder to the end of its stroke and into any crud.  This
has
caused the seals to fail, and the master cylinder to leak. Turned a simple
bleeding
into a major pain.

Mike Dwyer
Magic Auto