Re: Future of hobby and other matters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Future of hobby and other matters
From: MGRagtop@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:59:26 EDT
From: Neil_Oldfield@nag.national.com.au
Subject: Future of hobby and other matters

Snip>
The LBC clubs I belong to, on the other hand, are
dominated by a bunch of very nice "old farts" and very few new or younger
members.  So, the question arises, what will happen when the old guard dies
off?

I am sure that we all have nieces/nephews/younger cousins/grandchildren/etc.
that we can get involved in some way.... Have the younger folk help you wash
your car, then take them for a nice long ride, bring them to a car show,
Whatever -- just get 'em involved! My 3 year old nephew loves "fixing"
things. He gets his little toy wrenches out and helps me "fix" the MG, and he
gets a real kick out of it when I start the car, rev it up and declare that
we "fixed" it. I strap him in and take him up and down the street a few
times-he thinks it needs more fixing! I even let my other nephew drive my old
69 B out in the field behind my mother-in law's house, and he was only 9 at
the time. If you start them out young there's no telling what may happen when
they become driving age.

Stephen Bartley
Portsmouth NH
1963 MGB