Re: 9/9/99 (OT)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 9/9/99 (OT)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:31:18 +0000
James Nazarian Jr wrote:

> 9/9/99 is the end of Unix time.  Unix has a counter that counts
> seconds since it was first started I don't know how many years ago.
> on 9/9/99 the size alloted for the counter will be filled and unix
> will stop (assuming it was never upgraded to fix this problem.

Well... I can report that NOTHING happened as far as 9/9/99 at our place
(in Australia... of course it is the 10th now).

We run on **ix boxes (mostly Irix) and FreeBSD and we are still in
business :-)  The rest of the gear for the admin staff is Macintosh,
which all adds up to NO Melissa hassles, NO Y2K hassles... we stay
smiling while all crumble around us.

A big UPS and multiple redundancy for links and equipment.

It is sort of like carrying a boot-full of spares for your MG - I
suppose NOTHING will happen, but we will be prepared for it anyway.
Pity we may not have any customers left, but we will still be providing
the best Internet access in town :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII @ 180kmh
(and soon - MacG4 @ 1gigaflop+)