Re: 9/9/99(ot)

To: eric@erickson.on.net
Subject: Re: 9/9/99(ot)
From: Michael J Robson <miker15@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:31:28 -0400

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:38:48 +0000 Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
writes:
> As an old COBOL programmer (nobody laugh... you *love* that old piece
> of
> technology in your garage)... my prediction is that, as far as my
> life
> is concerned, unless I pay any attention to the media and whatever
> beat-ups they drum up, then the whole Y2K thing will pass just as
> did
> the 9/9/99 thing.
>
> It is a beat-up and a fizzer and will be so for most people I know
> or
> interact with.

Probably true - however - there are a lot of folk out there scared
sh*tless by Y2K - especially in the heavy industry and utilities worlds -
for example, the japanese and the chinese are loading up on raw
materials, oil, coal, iron ore grain etc - this is driving commodity
prices up (which was due anyway) which draws other "nervous" economies
into the fray - for example, world exports of cereal grains in july and
august are the highest on record - by far - the upshot of this kind of
thing is inflation for poorer nations and a later rubber band effect when
it all proves to have been for nothing - hang on to your hats!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley(for sale)