Re: Gasket between catalytic converter and exhaust, 77B

To: "Tom McLaughlin" <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gasket between catalytic converter and exhaust, 77B
From: "mowog77 bootknocker" <mowog77@theglobe.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:55:12 -0700
Hi Tom,

It is much easier to do this (although this job is not easy), if you remove the
carb and most of the stuff above the area of the cat.
Then get under the car and remove the bolts that connect the cat to the
downpipe.
After that remove the bolts that attach the cat to the manifold.

If the bolts are seized, use PB Blaster t oloosen them - it is miracle solvent!

If that doesn't do the trick, remove the whole manifold and have the bolts
flamed at your local mechanic or machine shop/welder.
They heat the bolts up until they are cherry red, the nthey come right off.

Once you get them off, replace them with new bolts and brass nuts - you won't
have the problem again.

If you take the manifold off, buy a new manifold gasket - no skimping here!

Erik.
--

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:57:28   Tom McLaughlin wrote:
>Can someone give me some tips on replacing the gasket between the cat
>converter and the exaust manifold (hope I am calling things by their
>right name :)).  I have a serious exhaust leak at this gasket, the one
>on the top side of the cat conv.
>
>The Haynes/Chilton manuals are pretty vague on how to go at this.  Do I
>need to take the whole exhaust system off from the cat conv back???
>How do I get at the bolts???  Should I go at it from underneat the car
>or take off the heat shield, air cleaner etc???  Should I get any
>extensions or other tools to make this job easier.
>
>I haven't even attempted yet, but I thought I would ask before jumping
>in.
>
>Any thoughts???
>
>Tom
>77B

The Globe
  Your friendly full-service integrated online community.
  http://www.theglobe.com